Monday, May 21, 2007

Salisbury Cathedral - Baptismal Font

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake. - Psalm 23:1-3

Most of us have heard this passage more than a few times, and while most of us also have a very positive association with it, some of us can't hear it without thinking of a time of sickness, injury, stress or death. People immediately associate Psalm 23 with faith in general, but especially faith under duress.

I came across this baptismal font in Salisbury Cathedral, a church built in 1258 with an incredible history and gorgeous architecture. However, one of the best things about this site is that it is a thriving contemporary church as well as an ancient landmark. One of the ways they live this out is by continuing to adjust the site for their church's needs; in this case, it meant building a new, more modern and accessible, baptismal font in the center aisle of the church.

It pours continuously from each point of the roughly cruciform basin, falling almost silently into an enclosed catch below. The water comes exactly up to the top of the basin, making the surface of the moving water perfectly still and leaving the stained glass to reflect in it. Some tourists clearly mistake the font for a fountain and toss coins in, as you can see in the picture.

Making this baptismal water all the more poignant is the upcoming baptism of my first niece on Pentecost, less than a week away. She will come out of the waters as a newly washed Child of God, and the community will declare their commitment to raise her in faith. I will not be able to be there in person, but only in spirit.

These are the times when I think of Psalm 23. When the Psalmist tells us of these still waters that we are led past, I think of the quiet times when faith is sustained and nurtured. All too often, our faith only matters to us when it is tested; we forget that faith is also our daily bread. God leads us out into green pastures every day, not just on the days we know we need guidance, but even on the days we think we're fine on our own. My little niece will be claimed for a shepherd who will show her the way even when she'd rather go another direction. Still waters may not be very dramatic, but they're the stuff of daily life.

I dipped my fingers in the font and prayed for my niece, for the ones I love and miss, and for the grace to keep the faith on even the most mundane days.

Our Shepherd, you are a constant strength and guide even if - especially if - we think we're fine on our own. Remind us always of your love and care, so that when our faith is tested we will remember the green pastures and the still waters. We pray these things in your name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I visited Salisbury Cathedral last May. We,too, were impressed by the modern mixed with the ancient. It all worked together.
We took pictures of the font and the new cobalt windows of "Prisoners of Conscience."
I would love to be there for the 2008 celebration.