Wednesday, December 12, 2007

St. Clare of Assisi

For it is better to suffer for doing good, if suffering should be God's will, than to suffer for doing evil. For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, in which also he went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, who in former times did not obey, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you - not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ - 1 Peter 3:17-21

Ever since I first met her, I have been inspired by Clare. Not only was she a woman with great faith, but she had very sincere dedication to her neighbor, especially those most in need. She was intelligent and persistent in a time when women were rarely heard. Perhaps most amazing is her complete unfailing confidence in spite of all kinds of pain, as long as she knew she was living and serving in God's name.

Much of Clare's life is a shadow to Francis's, something even she allowed. She referred to herself as the Little Flower of Francis, indicating that she had grown up under his instruction. This is indeed true; the friendship between Francis and Clare was instrumental not only in Clare's personal development, but in her influence on a local and even church-wide scale. It is likely that without Francis's notoriety and support, Clare could not have had the influence she did. This continues even today in strange ways. For instance, when an earthquake hit Assisi 10 years ago, Francis's basilica was almost immediately re-built; Clare's, on the other hand, was still in pieces when I first saw it in 2001.

I had guarded expectations for my return to visit Clare this year. I was afraid her little basilica would be just as battered as before, and her tomb (holding her visible remains, which are no longer uncorrupted but still contain her perfectly-preserved skeleton) would be inaccessible. Imagine my surprise when this was not the case! While the frescoes that once decorated the church can never be recovered, those that could be displayed are fully visible. A side chapel allows pilgrims to pray. And perhaps most amazing is the lower crypt where Clare's body can actually be seen at very close distance.

In so many ways, Clare's life has influenced mine. I came to know about her in a very important time in my life, as I discerned my call to ministry. Her passion to service, ability to look past obstacles, and her choice of a humble life in spite of the amazing resources at her disposal, encouraged me to do the same as I best could. Her ability to endure suffering no matter what happened reminded me that I also had been granted the same confidence in Christ. Most amazingly, her feminine nature shown through in what was very much a man's world to no detriment of her ministry; I can hope the same for myself.

It was truly a delight to return to Clare's house. During the weekend in Assisi, I found myself wanting to sneak back into the basilica - and not just because it was a warm, quiet place on such a freezing, busy weekend. Being in her church reminded me of the service she offered and the testimony of her life. I am honored to have her as a sister in Christ, a fellow worker in the kingdom, and another exemplary member of the Communion of Saints.

Gracious God, in baptism you bring us together into one family. Thank you for the unity you offer us, and the opportunity to work side-by-side with such dedicated members of your kingdom like Clare. May her humility and tenacity inspire us to continually serve you through our neighbor no matter what happens. Because of your Son, we can endure all things. We pray these things in his name, Amen.

No comments: