Monday, February 19, 2007

Pontifica Universita' San Tommaso D'Aquino in Urbe

You have dealt well with your servant, O LORD, according to your word. Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments. - Psalm 119:65-66

The name is pretty long, so it typically goes by its other name: the Angelicum. Those in the know or in a hurry call it simply the Ang. I call it my school here in Rome.

To go into detail of all the ways that this school is similar and yet different to my time at Luther Seminary seems almost beside the point. After all, this is a pontifical university in Rome - a denomination, intent, and world away from St. Paul At the same time, it still serves to train both ordained and lay people into the faith for service in the church.

The differences are, of course, immediately visible. My classes have about 40-60 people each, and I am without fail one of about 5 without a habit or collar on. Also, since this school draws people from across the world, my native English-speaking ability finds me in the minority. While the Ang holds classes in Italian and English, the more international nature of the English language finds the English-speaking classes quite a bit more culturally diverse. Also, I have only met one other Protestant who takes classes at the Ang, and he's in an entirely different program than I am.

However, I have been immediately and warmly received here. Since each class cannot but recognize their unfamiliarity, each class break has people introducing themselves, telling stories of home, and learning of each others' paths to the Ang. A great deal of learning takes place in the halls, as students find out more about the international character of the church. Sometimes you even learn about how small the world can be; a fellow graduate from my small-town high school takes three classes with me.

Perhaps most comforting is the strong community of faith. Even though we're from across the globe, separated from families, challenged in a rigorous environment, we are all drawn together for the sake of the church. Somehow, it makes me feel more at home to be surrounded by theology scholars talking Old Testament over coffee and stressing out over assisting in chapel. No matter how much I stand out, I still somehow fit right in.

Holy God, you send your servants out into many vocations. Be especially with those called to serve you in the ministry as they feed your flock in the name of Christ, our one Shepherd, who draws us all together from every race, country and language. Grant us unity in the Holy Spirit to truly serve you in harmony. Amen.

No comments: