Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Virginia Tech Tragedy

I had said in my alarm, "I am driven far from your sight." But you heard my supplications when I cried out to you for help. Love the Lord, all you his saints. The Lord preserves the faithful, but abundantly repays the one who acts haughtily. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord. - Psalm 31:22-24

Just two days before we left Rome, news broke online that a major shooting had occurred on a university campus in Virginia that I'd never heard of. Amongst our packing and preparing, the news from Virginia got only worse. As we made our way through the main airport in Rome, into Heathrow airport and through the maze of London mass transit, there was one common denominator: every newspaper, magazine and television headline held updates about the shootings at Virginia Tech

No matter the language, the time difference, or the cultural removal, the sheer scale of horror was evident. It was simply incredible to me that no matter how far away I had traveled, this terrible news still reached me. The incredible loss of life and the senseless way it had happened carried the story to the other side of the world, leaving me shocked not only at the news, but the way it reached me.

The truth of the situation was palpable: in the face of this tragedy, there was really and truly nothing I could do. My seminary held a prayer service, as did many schools across the nation, which I would have gone to had I been there. Instead, I was arriving in a city and country that I didn't even know yet, but I could still read every terrifying headline on every newsstand we passed. I felt helpless and cut off while resenting the global news market that made it possible for me to even know about this tragedy.

However, this feeling of impotence led me to the one and only thing I could ever do in this situation. A world away, I may not be able to attend a service - but I can pray. I can't light a candle at a memorial, but I can ask God for healing light to shine. I can't ignore what has happened, but I can pray for the Holy Spirit to surround those who have lost a loved one. In the face of the most tragic of situations, we are never without the power to turn to God and have courage in our faith.

Blessed and merciful God, you are there even when we feel most alone. Surround the families, staff, students, faculty and community of Virginia Tech with your guidance and comfort in this, their darkest hour. Remind us always of your love, give us hope, and keep us always in your care. We pray these things in your Son's name, Amen.

No comments: