Thursday, November 1, 2007

Water Fountains

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. - Revelation 22:1-2

Being a thirsty tourist gets pretty easy in Rome. Throughout the city, you find tons of fountains ready and waiting for your empty water bottle. In fact, you can safely assume that any running water throughout the city can be safely consumed unless it is in the vast minority marked acqua non potabile (water not drinkable). You could technically climb into any one of the numerous ornamental fountains, but the bathing pigeons - not to mention your wet shoes and pants - would probably serve as sufficient deterrent.

Instead, you can walk up to any of the constantly-flowing water spigots found in numerous nooks, crannies, piazzas, and street corners in Rome. Being so close to mountain streams and pure springs, these fountains have no shortage of fresh, cool water. People walk up to them to wash their hands, splash some water on their face, fill a bottle, or even plug the end to shoot some water up through the tiny hole on the top, a la American water fountain. Everyone gathers to these fountains, especially on hot days, and everyone is grateful for them.

It brings to my mind the utopia in Revelation, where water flows through the city and healing trees grow on its banks. Rome is hardly the pristine New Jerusalem, and its fountains aren't exactly the water of life, but its the reminder and not the reality that counts. The ubiquity of water in this city, and the way it restores everyone from affluent tourists to thirsty beggars, constantly brings to mind the frequent Biblical references to water. Water brings death and destruction in abundance, brings suffering and pain in its absence, and gives life and renewal in simple presence. It's no wonder the river of life is such a powerful, peaceful image - water in this form gives life to life, and reminds us of our dependence on God's gifts.

I drink out of these Roman fountains often, having long since put aside my fears of germs. (You have to get over that pretty quickly in Rome, anyway.) Every time I do, I remind myself of God's graciousness. God provides us love and grace as overflowing as a fountain, and I can fill up at it any time. It washes away my dirtiness, quenches my thirst, and unites me with my neighbor in my need. Just as I was washed in water at baptism, I am renewed by it every time I take a sip. These fountains may not be the river of life, but they'll keep me going until I can sit on its banks.

God of abundance, you bless us with everything we need in this world and in the next. In water you claim us, clean us, and constantly renew us. Remind us of your call in our baptism, and keep us ever refreshed in its waters. Bring us together finally in the New Jerusalem, where we can gather at the shores of the river of life and be in your presence always. We pray this in your Son's name, Amen.

No comments: